ME/CFS Given Official Recognition by Ontario Government
ME/CFS Given Official Recognition
ME/CFS Given Official Recognition by Ontario Government!
This means that no one in Ontario who suffers from ME/CFS can ever again be told by a doctor that ME/CFS does not exist. If they do, tell them to look up Diagnostic Code 795. 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' has been given the
OHIP Diagnostic Code 795 by the Ontario Medical Association as a Neurological Illness!
Ideally, we wanted the Diagnostic Code to read: 'Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but we had to take what the Ontario Medical Association approved. The most important fact is that 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' is now officially recognized as a Neurological Illness in the Province of Ontario, Canada. Perhaps the other Provincial Ministries of Health in Canada will follow?
It has taken many years to get to this point of lobbying, meetings, etc. With the publication of the Canadian Definition, which was initiated by the National ME/FM Action Network, this made this possible. Over the last several years, The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Association of Ontario has been in meetings with the Ontario Ministry of Health to lobby for a Diagnostic Code and we are so pleased that we now finally have one. Dr. Alison Bested did a fantastic presentation to the Ontario Medical Association. What does it mean to have a (CFS) code"? It means that:
1. NO physician can ever say again that our illness does not exist;
2. All physicians in Ontario will receive a notice from OHIP of our new CFS Diagnostic Code 795 as a Neurological Ilness;
3. The fact that the Ontario Medical Association gave CFS a Diagnostic Code as a Neurological Illness will cause concern to Insurance companies;
4. It will help individuals applying for Ontario Disability Support Program and the Canada Pension Disability Plan;
5. It now makes it possible to collect Statistics in Ontario; and
6. It will hopefully give incentive to the other provinces to follow.
NOTE: The CFS Diagnostic Code is given to someone who is being diagnosed with CFS for the first time. The code is not a time-based fee code. Follow up appointments for any illness (heart disease, MS, CFS, etc. at the present time is usually billed as Supportive Therapy if you take more time than a normal appointment.