Friday, April 30, 2010

BioMed Central | Full text | Practice Nurses' views of their role in the management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalagic Encephalitis: a qualitative study

BioMed Central | Full text | Practice Nurses views of their role in the management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalagic Encephalitis: a qualitative study

This is the only positive ( if you can call it that) quote "More powerful still in developing their views was personal experience of the condition. This allowed practice nurses to identify with patients more easily, and to empathise with the symptoms they were describing:

'I suppose I differ in the way that I had a virus, a viral illness many years ago and it was so bad I could barely lift my head, and no-one knew the cause of it, all my blood pattern was normal, I just could not get up... I didn't know what was happening to me and I, I did feel, in the end, is this some form of depression? You know, is it medical? Is it mental? I just did not know. All I know is how I felt, absolutely dreadful. And it didn't matter what the cause for that was to me, it was how I was and that's all that matters, so, I do try to look at it that way.' (PN19)'

Her experience so closely mirrors mine that it is uncanny, except that following my virus, not knowing why I felt that everything requiered the effort it takes to wade through neck high thick mud, I made the mistake of saying to my doctor that I thought I was depressed - that was the start of a downward spiral from which I have never fully surfaced. The antidepressents he prescribed made me suicidal ( a known side effect ) leading to hospitalization for months...

cannot write anymore right now...

No comments: