Wednesday, July 09, 2008

How to Explain Fibromyalgia to Your Friends & Family

What I now reckon was my first huge fibro flare up hit me while a post graduate student at Durham University on a university scholarship because of glowing undergraduate performance, diagnosed as depression - I actually went to my GP and said I thought I was depressed following a strange condition where the bottom of my legs and ankles where swollen red and itchy, doc diagnosed a virus and it was downhill all the way from there such that just trying to walk to the library was like wading through treacle, my concentration, analytical ability and previously red hot memory became just that, a memory. Eighteen years on I am unable to work and have to always pace myself to try to avoid flare ups, but the strangest events or conditions can bring one on.....have to log off now as my neck is spasming and telling me "enough!"

MedHeadlines » Explaining Fibromyalgia to Your Friends & Family: Explaining Fibromyalgia to Your Friends & Family "When a lot of people see a bizarre collection of fluctuating symptoms that don't show up in medical tests, they decide fibromyalgia must be a psychological problem. A host of scientific evidence, however, proves that it's a very real physical condition."

Oh boy do I know what this is like! I may look well at times but an in pain and unable to think or speak clearly...

"Research shows conclusively that fibromyalgia involves abnormal levels of multiple hormones and other substances. Because those things all go up and down, sometimes one or more are in the normal zone and other times they're not. The more things that are out of the zone, the worse they'll feel...

Understanding the Fatigue of Fibromyalgia
Think of a time when you were not just tired, but really exhausted. Maybe you were up all night studying for a test. Maybe you were up multiple times to feed a baby or take care of a sick child. Maybe it was the flu or strep throat.

Imagine being exhausted like that all day while you're trying to work, take care of kids, clean the house, cook dinner, etc. For most people, one or two good night's sleep would take that feeling away.

With fibromyalgia, though, comes sleep disorders that make a good night's sleep a rarity"

The sleep deprivation is the cream on the top of this awful illness


Fibromyalgia In a Nutshell

"Fibromyalgia can take someone who is educated, ambitious, hardworking and tireless, and rob them of their ability to work, clean house, exercise, think clearly and ever feel awake or healthy.

It's NOT psychological "burn out" or depression.
It's NOT laziness.
It's NOT whining or malingering.
It IS the result of widespread dysfunction in the body and the brain that's hard to understand, difficult to treat, and, so far, impossible to cure.
The hardest thing for patients, however, is having to live with it. Having the support and understanding of people in their lives can make it a lot easier."

No comments: